Grammar sophistication is the focus of this episode, in which I argue for loosening the reins on the grammar rules and letting that horse run. But also: how intimate understanding of grammar structures can result in editing with a light touch, rather than a gavel.[sociallocker id=”6583″]Press play below or right-click to download. 6:40 min
[/sociallocker]You can subscribe to this podcast here.
What is your relationship with grammar? Have you found a working compromise for the grammar rules? Can you draw how a bicycle works? Leave your comments below, or join the discussion over on Twitter.
Mentioned in this episode:
- James Harbeck’s Sesquiotica
- Ryerson University’s Publishing Certificate
- Karen Virag’s dangling modifiers
- Corina Kock-Macleod of Beyond Paper Editing
- Cheryl Stephens’ Plain Language blog
- zombie rules
- (This just in) A sound and clear grammar investigation into the zombie rule of less v. fewer
The image for this episode is by Rumble Press, used under CC BY 2.0 license.